Tuesday, June 12, 2012

CONsumer.





Trying to get some networking accomplished lately. One of my most recent contacts is a fellow from Jack Spade, who seems to be one of the coolest gentlemen that I've met in Georgetown. The shop has an aesthetic that is really incomparable. You feel as though you're stepping in to some zone of weirdness that is somehow transporting you to a timeless place that you'll never be able to experience unless in that shop. However, when you look at the things on the walls, on the shelves and in the cases, you see things that you know are in some weird location in between the past and the present. 


I was having a conversation with a young girl who was attempting to convince us that she 'shopped better' because of her mother. She started listing the places in which she makes most of her purchases, and despite the names, I found myself unimpressed. "Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdales, etc." I've never been one to turn down the chance to look at something designer, or expensive, but I'm not fascinated by 'new things' like most people are. I don't care if Apple releases the iPhone 200 Mk. X4 tomorrow with titanium alloy exoskeleton and a built in soda-pop dispenser. If it doesn't satisfy my needs, then I feel like there's no point in wasting my time with it. 



I feel like one's initial purchase of a Louis Vuitton bag should be one's last purchase of a Louis Vuitton bag. I'll be thinking of how long this purchase will last me, and why it is that I love it so much- not how affordable it was, or how it will look with my new mole skin slacks. While I personally don't consider myself to be 'preppy*,' my style often reflects the same principles as the 'preppy' cache. It's because you want to buy things that you can honestly (if need be) can give to your son, and have him looking sharp for the rest of his life. I know things are a little different for the ladies, but it shouldn't be a radical difference. Right?
















*What does that even mean...?

No comments:

Post a Comment