Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday.

If you know me, you know I'm really in to old school stuff. Not so much vintage, but more so classic looks. The more timeless something is, the more I like it. Nowadays I would buy something so that I could wear it for the rest of my life, instead of buying something new for the night. God is something that St. Thomas Aquinas described as something 'outside of time.' While of course, I am in no way making a connection between my fashion sense and an almighty deity, I think that there is something to say about the connection between time and a lack-there-of. This is something that American's still don't seem to grasp. While there seems to be a narrow circuit of those who really 'get it.' There are a lot of those who don't. Myself included.


Black & Timeless (above)
All credit due to the owners of these photos.


I guess I'm thinking of this because tomorrow I'm going to help my father move things out of my late grandfather's apartment, which would include an array of things that he has collected over the years. From suits to sofas, he was truly a timeless man. While I can't say I truly picked up on what it is that made him so, I'm sure that a lot of it comes with age. While there are a number of young guys out there that know how to dress well, there are very few that know how to dress so that they can wear the same thing when they are 60+. Sure, styles change, and soon comfort will override any sort of feelings held towards any pair of new shoes, but why not figure that out now? Why are t-shirts the go-to for casual attire? 


Black & Retro (above)
Photo from Street Etiquette


I'm going out tonight, and despite my desire to, I'm going to convince myself to not wear a pair of Air Jordans. Instead, I'll throw on an old pair of oxfords, and stand out proudly against the army of Nike sneakers. However, this is the whole point of the Rosewood movement am I right? Throw away the high tops and get some wing tips. 


One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment