Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday.

Today I went to my Aunt's house. There, my Father, my Aunt and I looked through a scrapbook she had put together which composed much of the Vincent family history. It was an amazing moment for me. It was the first time I was wearing about, let alone seeing many of the people that are responsible for my existence. The Vincent family is nothing short of incredible. My aforementioned grandfather is just a portion of something that is simply awe-inspiring. Hopefully it's something that I inherit as well. Aside from being a horde of 'swanky' ladies and gentlemen, the most enjoyable portion of the trip into the past was getting a chance to see my late grandmother once again. Before her passing, I had known my grandmother to be one of the wittiest, funniest, loving and sarcastic people I knew. To this day I don't know anyone who could make me smile more. However, today I learned that aside from her ensnaring personality she was absolutely breathtaking in her youth. Now, I've seen my fair share of women in these twenty-two years, but I can honestly say that my grandmother was one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen. From pictures of her and my grandfather out on the town, to the home photos of her dressed down, wearing her massive bifocals, she never ceased amazing me. With a woman as bright and beautiful as Donna Jean Sanders, to have been married to a man as cool and charismatic as Virgil Vincent, really gives me hope. Though here's the kicker: My grandparents were born in the early portion of the 1900s. Having married in the 30's, the couple was composed of a black man, and a white woman. That means a marriage of 70+ years. Though of course, we know that while bodies may pass, love like that doesn't. In my eyes, the two are still happily married.


To just imagine that sort of bond that a couple could hold during a time where black men were being killed just for looking at a white woman! To only imagine the constant threat of death, towards my grandfather; The risk of being disowned that my grandmother took, were nothing but risks that the two were willing to take. Such is the cost of love. While their marriage gives me hope, it saddens me that I'll never find a woman like my grandmother. She was truly one of a kind. 


The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. - Audrey Hepburn


I guess I don't have much else to say for today's post. Don't be afraid to take risks for love. Despite the many ups and downs that you will no doubt face, it's all worth it. There is absolutely nothing like love. Not a thing in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment