Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday.

The unholy sanction of crippling heat and debilitating rain begets the hell that was these passed two days. While it has not prohibited me from posting an entry yesterday, or the day before, other things of course did. Those things? Friends and Family. Pretty good excuse right? Well I hope so anyway. These passed few days I've been engaged in a number of conversations concerning music. Attending a concert on Friday where I was able to see the likes of Far East Movement, Lloyd, Keri Hilson (faint), Rick Ross, Drake and Lil Wayne, I had a magnificent day. This of course was accessorized with a day of browsing around various retail stores and finally a night on the town with a merry band of cohorts. While I can't say the weekend went off without a hitch, it certainly was one of the most entertaining of the summer. I think it was well worth it to miss a couple of days of posting on my lil' ol' blog for! Besides, as I promised, I'm going to treat my readers with something a bit special today as opposed to the normal crap that you read on a daily basis (if I'm so lucky). Well, it's not that special, but it's significant enough to make up for the two days that I missed. Haha. In order to make up for two days, I'm just going to show you all the best two music videos you've never seen, and then I'm going to talk a bit about another one of my menswear inspirations.




While this young, Pittsburgh based, rapper is far from what people would normally expect to see from the countless stereotypes that are produced from the media, this video shines in its ability to be honest. Instant comparisons to Eminem or Wiz Khalifa noted, Malcom McCormick is in a league of his own. Not coming from a broken home, or poverty, or surrounded by adverse influences, it all comes clear in the intolerably cute home videos that he submits in the beginning of this video. Still young, Mac's decision to pursue hip hop seriously would only rear it's head four years ago. So while I was packing my things for a four year stay at The College of Wooster, he was honing his performance skills and memorizing lyrics. What has it done for him? Well he's officially been signed to Rostrum Records, which is the same label that supports recording artist Wiz Khalifa. So I suppose if you're going to compare Mac to the global nomad, compare him in terms of determination... oh and the fact that they're both from Pittsburgh. (Black and yellow, black and yellow etc.)




The first time I found this video, I replayed it a total of six times. Three times for the video, two times for the song, and one time to see them work in unison. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it afterwards. The powerful animation does little but honor the capabilities of ambient melody that Danger Beach produces. Almost reminiscent of a musical story ala Peter and the Wolf, Danger Beach allows our imagination to run wild with the story that we create with these three unique styles of play. However, it is this video that puts our imagination into fruition, with an animation design which rivals our conception. I could spend hours talking about what this video means, but at the sake of not wanting to sound like one of those guys, I'm going to let you decide what you want about this video, and the song it is based on.


Theophilus London
All credit due to the owners of this photo.


Who the hell does this guy think he is? It's one thing to be envied for your musical talents, I get that. He makes music that is not only genre-defying, but authentic art, I get that. It's something completely else to be one of the coolest guys on the face of the earth. He's cool, having a wardrobe to die for he gets away with things that most people would be mocked for wearing. Now, it's something that's unforgivable to be all of these things, and only be twenty-two years old! There are only two male musicians that I admire for both their music and their fashion sensibility. The first is Kanye West, who needs no further explenation. I mean, the guy has a song called 'Christian Dior Denim Flow' for heaven's sake. He's collaborated with an incredible amount of famous brand names from Louis Vuitton to Nike, and is even rumored to be launching his own line this fall. The fashion photographers love him, and for good reason. So for Theophilus London to be capable of comparing to the Louis Vuitton Don is saying something: instantly. Having style tastes that rival my own, I know that if I were ever to meet my icon, I know that there would be instant conflict. Why? Jealousy. True, while last name London, first name Theophilus has a style that is an ode to his hometown of Brooklyn, he still holds my heart when it comes to the ability to dress how one wants, when one wants. I mentioned earlier about about stereotypes of rappers. While I'm no longer convinced that Theophilus falls under that category, he still breaks the mold. Chains and shades aside, one would be hard pressed to find a rapper nowadays that wears his paints on his waist, with his shirt tucked in, and a sun hat on top of his head. What makes matters worse is that he's not just a snazzy dresser, he also produces music of incredible quality.


Theophilus London ft. Ducks
All credit due to the owners of this photo.


Having released an incredible amount of music in the form of both singles, mix-tapes and EP's, Theophilus has yet to disappoint me with a single key of music. Having recruited the musical talents of Devonte Hynes (aka Lightspeed Champion, for who I've been a longtime fan), Mark Ronson (incredible!) Solange Knowles (not so much) and others, he is quickly finding himself with a legion of fans waiting to see what he is capable of. Even having big names like Va$htie produce his video for his cover of Tweet's "Oops," he was able to land the artistic, and well appreciated talents of Lindsay Lohan. While it appears he is taking a different route than another one of my favorite up and coming rappers (Tyler the Creator), there is no mistaking the fact that his audience is behind him all the way. Also, his LP is purchasable on iTunes for $10. 




Now someone get this man a Wikipedia page and lets go hate on his Complex fashion shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment